Friday, October 25, 2013

Space Opera and The Final Frontier


When I first started reading Shards of Honor, the first thing that crossed my mind was oh great romance. But as I kept reading, the book grew on me. Shards of Honor was a Space Opera that was a lot like a Soap Opera to me, with out the silly cat fights and memory loss. I’m not a huge fan of romance novels but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I think that one of the reasons I like this read was because of the 75% fiction and the 25% science in it.  I’m a sucker for a good romance, but I have trouble connecting to the setting and characters. I had no troubles connecting to Cordelia Naismith. She is a strong female archetype. As I read deeper and I started to picture myself in her shoes, it became like watching a soap opera to me. I would sigh in frustration with her, when she would leave Vorkosigan. The respectful relationship that grew between the two main characters was something I quiet enjoyed. My mother has always been a strong feministic figure in my life. I was thought to respect myself, and not fall into the dating trends of modern society. In Shards of Honor I see that classic respectful development of a relationship. Cordelia and Vorkosigan’s relationship is something I wish would happen to me. Vorkosigan is portrayed as a bad guy, but Cordelia is the type of woman that knows never to judge a book by its cover. Which is ironic, cause that is indeed what I did when I began reading this book.
Over all the book was a fast easy read. Details where give at I feel the proper times not wasn’t super overwhelming. I keep coming back to it but I truly think building of this romantic relationship is what sold me on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment